It’s really challenging to look gorgeous in summer as hot summer sun can play havoc on your skin and hair. But don’t worry, by taking proper care of your skin and hair you can look stunning and beat the summer heat.
In addition to cleaning and moisturizing your skin twice a day, use a good sunscreen lotion to protect your skin from the harmful ultra violet rays. Choosing a right sunscreen is essential to prevent premature aging and sun burn; following are the important tips to take into account before buying a sunscreen:
- Avoid using chemical based sunscreen lotions as they penetrate the skin and can cause health problems instead go for Zinc oxide and Titanium dioxide based mineral sunscreens, as they do not penetrate the skin and provide broad protection (both UVA and UVB) against the sun’s most damaging rays. These sunscreens start working as soon as you apply them but chemical based sunscreens take around twenty minutes to start the process.
- SPF, which stands for sun protection factor, is an indicator of protection from UVB rays that causes sun burn and does not count for the skin-damaging UVA rays. Most of the experts recommend SPF 15-30 as it provides 96% protection from UVB. There is hardly any difference in the protection provided by a sunscreen that claims to have an SPF 50 or an SPF 70.
- There is no sunscreen that is completely water proof or sweat proof. But there are sunscreens which are water resistant for 40-60 minutes but after that you need to reapply them.
- Avoid sunscreens with vitamin A as they can cause skin cancer.
- Pick sunscreens that are unscented or use essential oils as fragrance
Shades: Trendy sunglasses are fashion accessories that not only make you look good but also protect your eyes. Go for close fitting shades with 99 or 100 percent UV protection as they prevent ultra violet lights from filtering in.
Cover your hair: Heat, humidity and dirt can severely damage your hair. Use a scarf or a wide brimmed hat before stepping out in the sun to prevent damage to your tresses. Don’t forget to wear a cap while swimming as bleach in the pool water can damage your hair. Wash and condition your hair at least twice a week. Once a week oil massage can do wonders to you hair.
Diet: Make fruits and vegetables part of your regular diet as they have fiber and antioxidants which are good for a healthy skin and keep yourself-hydrated with drinking water, coconut water, buttermilk and lemonade to have a glowing skin and healthy mane.